Wednesday 31 May 2023

Month of May 2023


This was a rather chaotic month as various events were compressed week after week.

It began with a sudden declaration by my helper that she was pregnant. She had just returned from her home leave two months ago and consented to a new two year contract. Omg right. The immediate thought was that she needed to be sent home soonest possible. However, this shocker was delivered three days before I was due to make a business trip. So we came to an agreement that she could leave right after I return in ten days time. The next day, a slight hysteria ensued as she said she experienced bleeding and wanted to go home. That's when I knew this was just play acting as I offered to send her to hospital yet it was refused. A couple of panadols was all she needed. In the evening, an air ticket was purchased for next day's morning flight and her work permit was cancelled. My wife and I sent her off and the parting was amicable even though we were disappointed.

The business trip to Taiwan was hectic from the start as the travels took me from North to South and back over five days, each day ending pretty late and starting an early meeting the next day. Then, it got better as my wife joined me over the weekend in Taipei for a foodie revenge escapade. There were simply too much to eat and the one I missed most was braised food (Lu Wei). We took public transport, drank artisanal tea, visited Xian Tian Gong, walked Linjiang night market, shopped at Ximen, did foot massage and even hiked Elephant Mountain. It was a vertical steps climb and luckily the weather was kind. This trip made me wonder whether it's possible to spend an extended period of time here in semi retirement.

Once we returned, the focus went back to the kids. They were having exams and sometimes stayed late in school for various activities. So we had to do ferry service and dinners were mostly takeaways. The reward came when we attended a ceremony to award the younger two for achievements in character behavior and CCA. Meanwhile, the eldest son requested to change subjects from pure to combined science. He felt it gave him a better chance to get into a poly course of his choice. Hopefully, his choice turns out correct. Grades may be important but I think it does not beat a well rounded development. As a parent, my wish is for them to grow up to be fine and healthy men.

My schedule is rather tight next month, with potential travels for work and leisure. Fortunately, I managed to squeeze some time and completed some tasks such as taking the IPPT, dental cleaning and reading.

Tip: Nabeshima Aiyama Junmai Daiginjo, mild sweetness, clean and short body

No comments:

Post a Comment