Wednesday 28 December 2022

Closing Out 2022

When I began this blog two years ago, it was due to Covid. Since then, the virus is still circulating well within the community and causing small pockets of panic ala China. From another angle, the 2022 world just got itself into more turmoil as we experienced the growing feeling of anxiety over our jobs and our way of living. The reasons are aplenty, from global financial imbalance, an unnecessary invasion and threats from various areas. Behind these, I put it down to eight billion people as the main problem. This milestone is a warning to me when it was officially recognized this year. It accentuated a further division of opinions that will bring about more bickering. When people feel stuck and starved, then things could get escalated into a clash between countries, races, religions, cultures and even idols! A pity this has to happen.

I accepted long ago that many issues were beyond my scope, ability, influence and even paycheck. I do within my means, just like how someone should prepare for their financial well being. It's simple logic i.e spending below what you earn. Therefore, it pained me to hear about a relative who's struggling with money, marriage and health problems. His solutions baffled me. He(obese) wished to continue enjoying his meals (and doesn't exercise), buy a secondhand car when the current one expires, hire a helper to assist his wife and pay for these by requesting for higher salary. As I heard this, my reply was, what value did he add to warrant this while his work record had proven otherwise. In my heart, I summarized it as entitlement. And that's clear in others whom I know. It's about the "selfish me" needing to have "whatever I want" and blame others when it's not achievable. Who doesn't want to be a millionaire by 55? Realistically, most won't be able to. Perhaps the context can be changed instead. Who doesn't want to be happy by 55? This is very possible. Be contented with what you have. Happiness is derived when you have a lack of wants. Time to take off the blinders and be more constructive. My father once told me, "the world doesn't owe me anything". So stop being selfish, relook expectations and start doing proper stuff. Smell the coffee as you do and appreciate the present. Hopefully, my relative (and a certain brother out there) will get the Aha moment.

I thought the past year had been rather kind to me. Sure, there were challenges along the way and the good news is I managed to hurdle over. Work wasn't exactly pleasant but the results were what mattered. I wished to have saved more for the kids but decided to put money to work as I tried new investments. As a whole, my family unit is stronger. We remained in good health, study/work achieved decent returns, financials are more secured and our minds are probably more relaxed now. It's a result of preparation and hard work. Therefore, as 2022 ends, I'm at ease and just started to plan for next year's goals. Broadly, these would include aging well with my wife, supporting the kids in their education journey, growing net worth and improving investment outcomes. Cheers to a better 2023.

Tip: Robert Mondavi Private Selection 2019, oaky and medium berry fruits, chocolatey and short finish

No comments:

Post a Comment